Recent match report – England v New Zealand 2nd Test 2022/23

Lunch New Zealand Track 12 for 2 (Latham 7*, Young 1*) England 435 for 8 ten (Brook 186, Root 153*, Henry 4-100) for 423 runs

England’s attacking declaration paid dividends for the second consecutive Test, with James Anderson claiming the wickets of Devon Conway and Kane Williamson in a Test period of seven before lunch.
The tourists babbled along with the bat during an eventful morning session at Basin Reserve, adding 120 to their evening score for the loss of five wickets, but were guided to a competitive total by Joe Root’s serene, unbeaten 153. Ben Stokes then opted to try and make use of any life left on a surface that was still green – perhaps hoping the element of surprise would help his pitchers’ cause.
New Zealand’s successes with the ball included beating Harry Brook for adding just two runs to 184 for the night, but they continued to take a few touches in the face of more enthusiastic batting. Matt Henry was the man who finally got the better of Brook and finished with 4 for 100 after Stokes called out Root and Jack Leach off an over 88 ball.

With time already lost since the second Test due to rain and further interruptions expected, Stokes opted to take the game on. His sense of adventure was immediately rewarded, as Anderson doubled his fifth delivery past Conway’s outside rim; the initial appeal was silenced, but condemnations quickly hardened and England’s review revealed the presence of a tenuous external advantage.

Williamson was then blamed for a boisterous strike in Anderson’s third over, the former New Zealand captain clearing the way for Ben Foakes to leave the home side 7-2.

England’s platform was defined by the exploits of Brook and Root on the first day, the fourth wicket par retaking a stand worth 294. Root launched his reverse ramp in the second part of the day, depositing Tim Southee for six over deep third, but Brook’s fun was cut short in sight of a maiden double century when he drilled a return catch to Henry, the bowler holding on at the second attempt.

His dismissal meant the partnership closed at 302, scored almost exactly five runs an over – England’s highest for any wicket in New Zealand and more than two-thirds of their final total.

Stokes himself produced another frantic innings, repeatedly looking to open space and slap the opposite side patchers. There were some well timed boundaries to go with several miscues before ee was dismissed for 27 from 28 balls, cutting Neil Wagner loose in midfield.

Foakes could perhaps have brought a more sober approach to proceedings, but he was bizarrely stumped in the next, falling from his crease against Michael Bracewell’s offspin. Stuart Broad lost to Bracewell shortly afterwards, meaning England had lost 4-66 with the second new ball looming.

Root, having played second fiddle to Brook on Friday, was keen to unfurl his full range and sweep Bracewell into the crowd before taking Southee to six and four with the new ball. Ollie Robinson took the same number of shots with just a fraction of the time, but he dropped Blundell off of Henry before hitting the next ball at midcourt. Root then passed 150 with his sixth limit of the session before England pulled away to give their New Zealand bowlers a chance before lunch.

Leave a Comment