pokemon go introduced Primal Reversion as part of the Go Tour Hoenn in February 2023, allowing two powerful legendaries – Kyogre and Groudon – to become even stronger.
Similar to Mega Evolutions, this is a temporary transformation and requires gathering Primal Energy from attacks and other sources. It will also give your party a boost while it’s active – making them useful for Community Day and other events.
How to get Primal Energy in Pokémon Go
Similar to Mega Evolutions, you will have to collect Primal Energy for that specific Pokémon.
There is three ways to get primal energy in pokemon go:
- Defeating Primal Kyogre or Primal Groudon in attacks (80-100 Primal Energy)
- Walking like your friend after transforming at least once (100 Primal Energy per 20km)
- Completing the Chasing Legends research (a reward of 200 Primal Energy)
The best method to gain Primal Kyogre or Primal Groudon energy is through attacks – facing them and gaining Primal Energy for that specific Pokémon. The faster you defeat them, the more Primal Energy you will be rewarded.
It will take several attacks from the same Pokemon before you have enough energy to initiate Primal Reversion. you need to have 400 Primal Energy for Kyogre or Groudon to activate Primal Reversion for the first time in pokemon go.
As with Mega Raids, Primal Kyogre and Primal Groudon are likely to be unavailable year-round and rotate infrequently during events starting with Go Tour Hoenn, so be sure to stock up on any Primal Energy you want before they run out. these Pokémon come out.
To give yourself a boost, make sure you complete Chasing Legends. This is a survey that can be started during Go Tour Hoenn event hours, and has no deadline. Completing this research will grant you an additional 200 Primal Energy for Kyogre or Groudon, depending on your choice during the “Primal Rumblings” special research.
At the time of writing, it’s unknown over time whether you’ll also earn Primal Energy from methods other than the above – like completing research tasks – like you can with Mega Energy.
How Primal Reversion works in Pokémon Go
Once you have 400 Primal Energy, you can transform Kyogre or Groudon into its Primal form temporarily.
Once reversed, they stay in this form for eight hoursand the more transformations they undergo, the less Primal Energy is needed each time.
In addition to the CP and power boost, there will also be additional perks to take advantage of when in Primal form. You can increase them the more you use each Primal form, with upgrades in three stages: Base Level, High Level, and Max Level.
Primal Reversal Bonus
When in Primal form, Kyogre and Groudon will have the following advantages. The exact upgrades at all three tiers – Base Tier, High Tier and Max Tier – are yet to be confirmed.
Primal Kyogre Bonus
- When at your party: Boosted Water, Electric, and Bug-type attack for your Pokemon
- As your friend: Water, Electric, and Bug-type catches will grant bonus XP and Candy
Primal Groudon Bonus
- When at your party: Fire, Grass, and Ground-type attack boosts for your Pokemon
- As your friend: Fire, Grass, and Ground-type catches will grant bonus XP and candy
Which Primordial Pokémon are available in Pokémon Go?
Just Kyogre and Groudon can undergo Primal Reversion in Pokémon Go.
In fact, these are also all of the Primal forms currently available in the main series. Primal Reversion was a concept first introduced in 2014 omega ruby It is alpha sapphireand so far, only these two Pokémon can undergo the transformation.
This is different from Mega Evolutions, as the main games have numerous other forms of Mega that pokemon go still have to see. although it is possible pokemon go could introduce more Primal forms, without them debuting in the main series first, that’s unlikely.
What else do we know about primal reversal?
Although Primal Reversion closely mirrors Mega Evolutions, there are some related observations and differences to note:
- Based on the debut of Primal attacks during the Go Tour Hoenn Las Vegas, it is possible to increase the average reward from 60-90 Primal Energy to 100 if you manage to complete the encounter within 30 seconds. With a high CP of over 90,000, you’ll need to be near the max Raid lobby to do this.
- As with Mega Raids, you will only catch the pre-evolved version of the Pokemon during the capture phase. These Raid encounters have a chance to be shiny, and using a shiny Kyogre or Groudon during a Primal Reversal will adopt the same altered color scheme.
- You can’t have both a Mega Evolution and a Primal Reversion active at the same time, and using one will disable the other if it’s currently active (thanks ThunderDragon356 on reddit for confirming).
- To emphasize the similarity between the two features, Mega Evolutions and Primal Reversion share the same filter in the game’s Pokédex.
During the Go Tour Hoenn weekend, you can also find Latios or Latias and regional Torkoal, Tropius and Relicanth.