Boxing Results: Joseph “Jo Jo” Diaz Loses to Mercito “Guerrero No Mercy” Gesta!

Per Ken Hissner: At the Walter Pyramid, Long Beach, Calif., on Saturday, the DAZN Oscar De La Hoya (Golden Boy Promotions) Main Event featured former Olympian Lightweight Joseph “Jo Jo” Diaz, Jr. lost via split decision to Mercito “Guerrero No Mercy” Gesta over ten rounds.

In the co-Main Event, lightweight Oscar Durarte knocked out Alex “Chi-Town Heat” Martin in the eighth round.

In the Main Event, former Olympian Light southpaw Joseph “Jo Jo” Diaz, Jr., 32-4-1 (15), #139 ½, of Downey, CA, lost via split decision to southpaw Mercito “Guerrero No Mercy ” Gesta, 34-3-3 (17), #137 ½, of San Diego, CA in 10 rounds.

In the first two rounds, Gesta took advantage. In the third and fourth rounds, Diaz came back well enough to win the rounds. In the fifth round, Diaz finished the stronger of the two after a tight round with Gesta on the ropes.

In the sixth and seventh rounds Diaz continued chasing Gesta, but was well countered. In the eighth round Diaz came back well while Gesta seemed to be slowing down. In the ninth round Gesta started to move around the ring with Diaz chasing him and being countered with many jabs. In the tenth and final round, Gesta kept moving with Diaz hitting him with a right hook to the chin with a minute left but was countered. Referee was Ray Corona.

The scores were 97-93 Diaz, 99-91 Gesta, 98-92 Gesta with 96-94 Gesta by this writer.

In the co-Main Event Light Oscar Durate, 25-1-1 (20), #135 ½, of Chihuahua, MEX, knocked out southpaw Alex “Chi-Town Heat” Martin, 18-5 (6), #136, of Chicago, IL, at 1:14 of the eighth round of a 10.

In the first two rounds Martin looked well ahead until the final seconds of the second round when Durate rocked Martin with a right to the chin making him hold on to the bell. In the third and fourth rounds, Durate was on the attack chasing Martin. In the fifth round, each had their moments with Martin taking the upper hand.

In the sixth round, Durate hurt Martin with a right to the jaw several times during the round. In the seventh round Durate suffered a cut on his right eyebrow. In the eighth round, after one minute, a vicious right to the chin by Durate dropped Martin as referee Jerry Cantu issued a count of 8. Martin managed to beat the count, but on shaky legs. Durate was on top of him, taking him down again with a right to the jaw when referee Cantu waved.

Super Welter Eric Tudor, 8-0 (6), #153 ½, of Ft. Lauderdale, FL defeated Damoni Cato-Cain, 7-1-1 (6), #152 ¾, of Oakland, CA, in 8 rounds.

For the first three rounds, the taller Tudor used an effective jab as Cato-Cain kept switching orthodox back and forth, gaining confidence as the fight went on. In the fourth round, due to a clash of heads, Tudor suffered a cut on his forehead. Tudor continued the attack to the bell.

In the sixth round, Cato-Cain’s left eye began to close from Tudor’s rights. Midway through the seventh round, a pair of Tudor rights to the chin rocked Cato-Cain. In the eighth and final round, Cato-Cain rocked Tudor a minute into the round with a right to the jaw. In the final minute, Tudor drew blood from Cato-Cain’s nose with a right to the nose. Referee was Jack Reiss.

The scores were 80-72 and 78-74 twice with 78-74 by this writer.

In the opening Super Feather bout Patricio “Cacahuate” Manuel, 2-0 (0), #129, of LA, CA, won via technical decision over Hien Huynh, 1-2 (0), #125 ½, of St. Louis. Louis, MO at 0:56 on the 4th lap.

In the first round Manuel coming back after four years knocked Huynh down for a count of 8 by referee Jack Reiss. In the third round, Manuel dropped Huynh again with a right to the jaw with referee Reiss giving him an 8 count. Reiss called the ring doctor, who interrupted.

Super Feather Dalis Kaleiopu, 4-0 (3), #130 ½, of Waianae, HI, defeated Jonathan “Popeye” Perez, 40-35 (32), #131, of Barranquilla, COL, in 6 dull rounds.

In the first two rounds, the much taller Kaleiopu used his jab to prevent Perez from countering most of the time. In the third round, Perez continued advancing with a warning over Perez hitting Kaleiopu behind the head. Referee Ray Corona finally earned a point near the end of the round.

In the final minute of the fifth round, the referee Corona again took a point from Perez for holding too much. In the sixth and final round, lasting forty seconds, Kaleiopu rocked Perez with a left uppercut to the jaw. Perez managed to hold on to reach the bell.

The scores were 60-52 by all 3 judges and this writer.

Featherweight Jorge Chavez, 5-0 (4), #125 ½, of San Diego, CA, won by KO over Bryan Perez, 12-17-1 (11), #129 ½, of Managua, NIC, at 0:30 of the first round of a 4.

Half a minute into the first round, Chávez landed a four-punch combination ending with a left hook knocking Perez onto the back as referee Jerry Cantu waved.

Ring Announcer Joe Martinez

Leave a Comment